2 blankets

I gave away two blankets this past week. The first was a quilt I made for a friend who is expecting a baby in January. She lives in Florida, so I was hesitant to knit anything, given the tropical climate there (though she did point out that everything in Florida is so heavily air conditioned people wear long sleeves indoors all the time!) 


Here are a few more details: I used a big stack of fat quarters in coordinating prints by Elizabeth Hartman for Robert Kaufman and made a bunch of nine-patch squares. I like these fabrics because of the bright, appealing colors and small scale prints. As it happens, many of the prints feature animal motifs (fox, cheetah, giraffe) and my friend loves animals of all kinds, so that feels like a real win. I had a bunch of lightweight chambray in my stash, so I used that for the sashing and on a whim decided to have the blocks offset when I put the quilt top together. The backing (not pictured) is polka-dot Minky I picked up at Blue Bar Quilts. The finished size is rather generous, about 48"x60". 

I'm happy to say that my friend was thrilled when she opened this gift at her shower last week. She and her husband have wanted a baby for a LONG time, and I'm so happy for them.

The other blanket is for a different friend who is having a hell of a summer, health-wise. While recovering from knee replacement surgery (the first of two), she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her prognosis is excellent and everyone is optimistic, but it's still a lot to cope with. Of course I knit her a blanket.



Pattern is the Bonfire Blanket from the book Road Trip by Tin Can Knits. I've already lost all my yarn labels, so I don't remember the exact name of the yarn I used, but it's some kind of super bulky merino by Plymouth that is very soft and squishy and perfect for a small comfort blanket like this one.


Don't you think we could all use some comfort right now? I've been meaning to blog about these projects for several days, but I kept putting it off for one reason or another, and now everything feels so trivial after the cascade of news this week. 

Stay strong, everyone.

Comments

Popular Posts